Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Stopping at no

I received an e-mail the other day telling me that a critical order had been cut. One of my most important styles would not be arriving in time for the season. It was not good, so I started to do some probing. What had happened to the order? How could we move some other things around to make my order happen? Who could I talk to in order to fix this problem? After a series of emails, we found that there was a computer glitch. If I didn’t push on asking these critical questions, my order would have been lost in the system.

What did I learn? Even with the best intentions, sometimes people deliver information without learning the whole situation. When there is a lot to do, you tend to move fast and rush towards the finish line. Even I have been guilty of this on occasion. Taking a few minutes to ask the right questions or learn more about a situation could save time and effort on the back-end, or in this case- protect my business.

How often have you accepted no without questioning? How can you start to ask the right questions? What are best practices to ensure you are getting all of the information you need to make a great decision? Who do you know who does this well?


To learn more about career coach Kate Kibler, go to www.katekibler.com

No comments:

Post a Comment