Monday, January 25, 2016

Making time

It has been over four months since I have posted on this blog. I am sure many of you are wondering why I've gone MIA. I can make lots of excuses as I've started a new job, moved, done a ton of traveling, and the holidays, but the reality is I just need to make time to get back on track with my blog. Day to day activities like work, travel, and even laundry can take up every minute of every day if I let it.

What is interesting is that the same phenomenon happens at work. There's always that project lingering that continually gets pushed out because there are too many immediate day to day tasks that need to be accomplished. Getting your day to day job done will make you a solid employee, but tackling that big lingering project will likely get you to that next level. If you want to grow in your career, you need to make time to get beyond your "day job". For me, I block time on my calendar to be strategic or to tackle that big project that is looming in the office. I hold that time as sacred and turn off my email and hide my phone so I don't lose focus. It looks like I need to set up 'untouchable' time to write my blog as well!

How important is it for you to grow in your career? What are some tactics you can use to get past the day to day tasks on your plate? What are the obstacles in your way to get to the next level in your career?

To learn more about career coaching, go to www.katekibler.com

No comments:

Post a Comment