Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Check your stress


What keeps you calm and focused? How could knowing that keep your career on track? There was one period in my career where I was stressed. It wasn’t regular stress, it was high stress. I did and didn’t recognize it. I knew I was in a stressful situation, but I didn’t know how much it was affecting me. It wasn’t until someone who worked for me pointed it out. She indicated I was not myself and had been overly critical. I was happy she was comfortable enough to tell me the truth. I needed to hear it from her.

When she gave me the feedback, I listened and accepted it. I thanked her and let her know she was right and I would correct it. I wasn’t able to change the stressful circumstances overnight, but I could change my own behavior. What did I need to stay calm and focused? Where did I feel the happiest? For me, the answer was easy. I find my peace in exercise; specifically running, swimming or yoga. I realized that my stressful situation was taking up so much of my time that I stopped exercising. I let the stress take over.

Although I had a lot to do during the work day, I became twice as productive and pleasant by carving out that hour to exercise; before work, after work, lunch time. It had to be a priority for me.

How can you keep yourself in balance? Who can be your trusted co-worker to tell you when you are not yourself? What activity keeps you focused and calm? How can you keep your stress in check?

Learn more about the fashion industry from Career Coach Kate Kibler at http://www.katekibler.com

No comments:

Post a Comment